Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sucked into Vista

Though my desktop computer isn't dead yet, it wasn't acting healthy again. (It waited about 1/2 an hour after I ordered a net book to crap out.) I've already replaced the hard drive 3 times. As much as I like XP I really didn't want to install it again. It also technically has less memory and ram than the current standard for new net book laptops, so it is I'll admit a bit outdated. So I gave in. Since my computer was acting up I'd just copied everything to discs and my backup drive. Within minutes of finishing my copying XP stopped loading correctly. I gave up and got a Dell box from Best Buy. 6 GB of RAM, and a 750GB hard drive, and almost the only one in the store with no Wireless Card included. Windows Vista 64 bit, and so far only one of my programs doesn't work. It looks like my scanner, and maybe printer won't work either. (Both of those should work on my net book, so it isn't a big deal.) If I have to I'll update to the newest Windows OS when it comes out provided it isn't worse than Vista. WOO HOO scanner works. Yeah, I'm still installing and tweaking. I have to install some kind of backup program that can backup everything including hidden files. The free program that came with my backup drive isn't able to do that, so everything ends up on DVD too. Amazingly enough I got all my Outlook Express e-mails imported into that Window's Mail program, and Firefox works quite well. I'm letting it run the Windows firewall until further notice. After I got rid of all the trays and crap running on the sides of the desktop it isn't that hard to deal with. I don't really like the All programs setup, but I don't use it that much anyway, so it isn't too bad. I didn't like the new Music and Pictures locations, but iTunes didn't have any issues, and seems to function quite well, so I can deal. Even my old Office 97 stuff worked. Overall it seems I waited long enough for the most annoying bugs to be worked out. If nothing else I now have a box that used newer more standard parts at least for a while. As you can see above though I lost some fonts.

No comments: