Sunday, March 22, 2009

Planning and Plastic

In my quest this year to make the most of the vegetable garden I started my obsessive planning early this year. The calendar pages go from March to October with approximate frost dates and weeks to and from them to hopefully time planting to it's best advantage. I was going to start some seeds under cover this weekend, but we're re-fencing the garden first, so the dogs definitely can't get in it. Over the winter they figured out how to jump the fences, and it's been decided if I do all the work and in August one jumps the fence and eats everything I'm going to be hard pressed to not chase that dog to kingdom come. That is why our garden is going to have a 4 foot fence around it, same as the fence around the yard keeping the dogs in. It has also led to a more complete effort for a row-cover type of solution to plant as early as possible. Sadly it took me so long to make the real benefit will be much later, but I'll be trying it out as soon as the new fence is up. Here's my sketch and the final product covered with a cheap plastic 3mil drop cloth (needs some trimming). I might need to add wood bracers running the whole length, but until then, the $1.25 pvc pipes seem to be holding, provided it doesn't snow....

No comments: