Monday, March 8, 2010

Moose Hill Farm 6:15 AM

After being unbelievably lazy all February and not doing anything during the lovely weekend we just had, I got myself up at 5:30 AM and went to Moose Hill Farm. It's not a bad place to walk though it isn't as nice as Daniel Webster can be at dawn, but it does only take ten minuets to get to from home, unlike 45 for Daniel Webster. With the 20 minutes I have to take to haul out of bed and get all the critters fed close to home wins.

There was plenty of convenient frost this morning but winter has largely stolen any interesting colors from the landscape. So while the frost is nice, what it gets attached to is often rather boring.

There were some greening up patches of moss in the woods. The ground in the woods is also no longer frozen making for much softer walking. Last time I walked here was in ankle deep snow and just the two mole loop was exhausting with the iffy footing. There was a little mud in places and the ground under the power lines was still frozen but overall the footing wasn't too bad.

I spotted a chipmunk so Spring really is coming.

There were several of these clustered under a dead tree near the fields.

I didn't see much else by way of critters. To punish myself some more I went home and walked Boomer for 3 miles before I went to work. I am going to have at least one dog who can walk down the street and not attack any other animals or jump on every person who passes. He's doing quite well. Leave it works quite well on joggers and medium sized dogs. However he seems to still be confusing small dogs with squirrels.

I may or may not do this again tomorrow. It mostly depends on how tired I feel tomorrow at 5:30 AM... Nope too tired. I went back to bed.

No comments: