Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Freedom Day 5

^because unemployed was getting depressing for a title. Today after getting a tooth filled (I'm catching up with not having cavities in my teens) I ventured outside. (I was less productive today as I tend to pretend getting a tooth filled might lay me up all day, so don't plan on doing much else.) It was freaking lovely out. When I let the dogs out this morning I had noticed the crocus blooms were up. When I went back out around noon they had all opened. They really are this butter yellow color. Normally I don't pick yellow flowers to plant, but after months of brown yellow looks awesome. These are Crocus - Golden Yellow. I even kept that in mind and grouped them in a few places.
I also got a cheap assortment so lots of purple and white.
I even saw some bees, not really closely though.
Most of the crocuses were up. My 4 Pickwicks look like maybe tomorrow or Saturday even will be when they bloom. I also have a bunch of purple ones on the other side of the yard that take longer since they don't get as much sun. Hopefully this year I'll get around to moving them when they're done blooming. I think they're purple striped but maybe I'm remembering wrong. I started on getting the patio usable and raked out some of the garden beds. A few things aren't coming up yet, but almost all of my potted stuff is coming up. The Siberian irises I got of eBay last year look great, though one had a chunk of grass in it I didn't notice wasn't iris until I looked a little closer. I should only go to HD with a chaperone, as earlier in the week I came back with more Siberian irises just in case the ones I had didn't come back. So I now have 6 more pots of them. At least they're different kinds. On my walk today I saw a yard with crocus inter planted and I really love the effect. It would never work in my back yard but I might be able to pull it off in the front yard. I'm going to try to get a picture of it tomorrow. Edit: I just dug through my photos from last year. The crocuses didn't bloom until April...I thought it was being unseasonably warm.

No comments: